Summer Boaters Reminded that Cannabis is Prohibited from Federal Waters


July 26, 2019

CONTACT: Cedric Sinclair, Director of Communications, 857-268-6454; Maryalice Gill, Press Secretary, 857-292-4891;

Summer Boaters Reminded that Cannabis is Prohibited from Federal Waters

BOSTON—The Cannabis Control Commission (Commission) wants to remind Massachusetts residents who may travel by boat this summer that cannabis cannot be possessed or consumed in, or transported through, federal waterways despite state legalization.

“The Commission expects adults who choose to consume cannabis in Massachusetts to know the laws, including the federal restrictions that are still in place,” Commissioner Jennifer Flanagan said. “If you are planning to take a boat ride this summer in federal waters, leave your cannabis at home. And, it bears repeating never, ever drive a boat when under the influence of cannabis, or ride with a driver who may be at risk of being impaired.”

Last summer, the Commission launched a public awareness campaign, More About Marijuana, to highlight the responsibilities of adult-use cannabis consumers. A video that summarizes exceptions to legalized cannabis use in Massachusetts is available to share, and additional information about state law can be found at MoreAboutMJ.Org.

Although Massachusetts adults ages 21 and older are now permitted to possess one ounce of marijuana or five grams of marijuana concentrate, federally regulated areas – including waterways such as oceans or rivers and airspace – maintain restrictions on cannabis as the result of its ongoing classification as a Schedule I substance under the Controlled Substances Act.

It remains unlawful to carry marijuana or marijuana products across state lines or federal borders. In general, consuming marijuana or marijuana products in a public place is prohibited, as is smoking marijuana in any area where smoking tobacco is prohibited. And, it remains against the law to operate a motor vehicle or vessel while under the influence.

For more information about responsible adult use, visit, email, call 617-701-8400, or follow the Commission on Facebook and Twitter.