Tips to use cannabis more safely and prevent catching and spreading COVID-19:
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) websites for guidance on COVID-19-related concerns. DPH is tracking Massachusetts-specific cases and testing.
- Practice social distancing at all times, wear a face covering, and do not share cannabis products or devices such as vaporizers, pre-rolls, and water pipes.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap, or use hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol, before and after purchasing and using cannabis products.1
- Plan ahead to reduce the frequency of trips to Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers and utilize curbside pickup, mobile, and order-ahead purchase options.
- Consider alternatives to smoking and vaping and consult with your Certified Health Care Provider if used medically.
- If you grow marijuana or manufacture your own products at home during the state of emergency, know the dangers and how to prevent them.
- There is currently no evidence that cannabis products prevent or treat COVID-19.
- If you or someone you know needs help with a cannabis or other drug problem, call the MA Substance Use Helpline at 800-327-5050.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When and How to Wash Your Hands. https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html. Page Last Reviewed April 2, 2020.
- Office of Attorney General Maura Healey.AG Healey Warns Public About Increased Risks Associated with Smoking and Vaping During COVID-19 Crisis. https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-vaping-advisory/download. Published April 9, 2020.
- Vardavas CI, Nikitara K. COVID-19 and smoking: A systematic review of the evidence. Tob Induc Dis. 2020;18(March):20. doi:10.18332/tid/119324
- McMaster University, Centre for Medicinal Cannabis Research. What effects does smoking cannabis have on the respiratory system? https://cannabisresearch.mcmaster.ca/news/2018/04/27/cannabis-smoking-and-effects-on-the-respiratory-system. Published April 27, 2018.